This post was last updated on July 3rd, 2017 at 07:12 pm
Milling machine is a useful piece of equipment that is used in a workshop for plain surfaces.
“Milling is the machining process of using rotary cutters to remove material from a workpiece by advancing (or feeding) in a direction at an angle with the axis of the tool. It covers a wide variety of different operations and machines, on scales from small individual parts to large, heavy-duty gang milling operations.” (Wikipedia)
There are various types of milling machines namely: Horizontal or Vertical, Plain and Universal.
How does the Universal Milling Machine differ to the Plain Milling Machine?
- The universal machine’s table can swing in both directions.
- It has special attachments that allows it to change from a horizontal machine to a vertical machine and vice versa.
- Lastly, The spindle in a universal milling machine can turn in both directions.
Sketch Of A Fully labeled Milling Machine
Safety Measure To Follow When Using A Milling Machine
Some of these safety are similar to ones of a Lathe Machine, Bench Grinder or any other machine in a workshop.
– Make sure all guards are correctly fitted.
– Wear appropriate clothing and goggles.
– No loose clothing or jewellery
– Don’t remove chips when the machine is running.
– Make sure there’s no oil or grease under the machine.
– Ensure that the machine is in working order.
– Don’t run the saddle or work to column when working.
– Use a cloth or brush when cleaning the machine.
– Keep the machine clean at all times.
Milling Machine’s Uses
> Cutting gears
> Machining flat, shaped surfaces.
Milling Machine Parts Uses
– Adjustable Foot stock is used to support work pieces on the other side of the dividing head.
– Arbor is the one responsible for driving horizontal cutters.
– Arbor support is there to align and support the arbor.
– Bracing arms is used during heavy cuts to provide support the arbour from vibrations.
– Column is there to provide precise guide to vertical movement of the knee.
– Knee is there to raise and lower the table.
– Saddle is used too mount the table.
– The Table provides auto and manual travels carrying machine vice.
– Table Trips are there to trip and stop the auto cross-feed travels of the a saddle.
– Universal head is used to cut leads.
– Overarm has the same as the arbor support but it provides adjustable alignment and support for the arbor.
Did I miss anything? If so, don’t hesitate to comment or contact me.